Saturday, February 4, 2012

Yukon Quest


          Today was the start of the 2012 Yukon Quest sled dog race. It’s quite an event in little Fairbanks, AK. I think most of the town showed up this morning even with the -20 degree temperatures.


           We braved the cold and took off some of our winter gear to take these pictures on a bridge over the Chena River. Later on we were down on the ice as the racers started one by one at the yellow banner down there behind us. It was freezing out there! We only stayed for the first 4 teams to leave before heading inside to warm up/do a little shopping. We decided to sponsor a mile of the race (mostly because they gave us a cool button).



          There’s also a raffle that we most likely won’t win especially because the name is register as “OAF” who happens to be…


…a bear! Either way it was a lot of fun to get out on the ice. Everyone was so bundled up we couldn’t find anyone we knew but I always enjoy trying to decide whose hats, gloves, and scarves are hand knit. It makes for a fun game when you’re waiting around!

          The day was even more successful when we stopped at a thrift store and I found some great yarn.


           Two skeins of Brunswick Ballybrae! They smell a bit old, but it’s nothing a little airing out won’t solve and I was lucky that one still had the label on it. I’m thinking I’ll use it to make the Miercoles Tam by Quenna Lee from the Winter 2011 issue of Knitscene. I love cables that make a flower at the top of a hat; it’s such a nice surprise. It works out even better when you’re short, like me, so most people can see the top of your head. 
         
          I leave you with a picture of the dogs starting the race!


No comments:

Post a Comment